Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas Runner Boy

In true Christmas fashion, Runner Boy (as I like to call him) made out like a bandit for Christmas. Almost every gift I got him was revolved around running.

Every year, I go out in search of the coolest running gift. I remember about 6 years ago when the gsp Garmin watches were first coming out, I bought Walt one. In all seriousness, I watched as tears rolled down his eyes as he looked at his new “toy”. He was like Matthew when Matthew turned 5 and got a Game Boy. Matthew sat on the couch all day and played with his Game Boy. Walt, 6 years ago, sat in front of the computer, hooking up the gps Garmin.

Flash forward 6 years and Walt still has this sentimental side for the Garmins.

In my quest to buy him a superior running gift, I walked into North Face to find him a pair of running pants. I know NOTHING about running pants. I have no clue how many pairs Walt has, the purpose of each pair or the material they are made out of. And each year, I look for a pair that has an entire rap sheet of their material make-up and the kinds of weather you should wear the pants.

So I bought Walt a pair of Wind protection pants. At $125, I figure they would protect him during the strongest of wind storms.
As I walked up the checkout counter, I glance in the case and I see, as pretty as could be, the newest Garmin watch. I noticed the price and thought “Seriously?”, but I knew Walt would not expect it and he would love it.

This morning, Runner Boy opened up his gifts.

1. A Gait Analysis from Clint Verran. Only a “strange” runner person would know what this is. Basically, you get on this treadmill that is all hooked up to computers and it will analyze your gait. Really? Heck, Walt was beyond excited.

2. A Boston training schedule by Clint Verran. Again, only a runner person would even know who Clint Verran is, but he is a physical therapist about 40 minutes from us who is a crazy runner guy and treats crazy runners. He will create a program/schedule for your runner person. Let’s say you want to run a marathon in so much time, he will create a program so you can do that.

Well, Walt kind of knew he was going to get it, so no surprise factor there.

3. North Face wind pants. Walt has been checking Weather.com in anticipation of wearing his pants.

4. New Garmin gps where it will actually download your information via wireless stuff. It is also waterproof so if the windstorm turns into a hurricane, Walt is all set.

Needless to say, Walt was in his glory. His parents also got him a gift certificate for Running Fit. He was like a kid with a Toys R Us gift card…already plotting his next purchase.

As every Christmas morning, after the kids open presents, Walt will go for his run. This year, since there is no snow, he said it just wasn’t the same. But in my eyes it was. I can read my husband like a book. He is a creature of habit and his habit is all about running.

Merry Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment